Nominees must be individuals or organizations that have significantly enhanced the Illinois landscape or promoted the profession of landscape architecture in the State of Illinois. Membership in ILASLA is not required. There is no entry fee required for the Public Awards.
Each year, the ILASLA recognizes individuals or organizations that have significantly enhanced the Illinois landscape or promoted the profession of landscape architecture in the State of Illinois. These awards are given in an effort to heighten public appreciation of landscape-related issues and to expand public awareness of the landscape architecture profession and the ASLA.
Public Awards - Eligibility
Public Awards - Nomination Methods
Nominees may be entered for consideration in one of the following ways:
- Members of the ILASLA may nominate
- Members of allied organizations may nominate
- Any individual or organization may nominate himself or herself
Public Awards - Categories
Recognizes projects, legislation, articles, individuals or organizations that have significantly enhanced the Illinois landscape or promoted the profession of landscape architecture in the State of Illinois. The Public Recognition Award is presented at the discretion of the ILASLA Executive Committee.
Recognizes a landscape architect, landscape architecture firm or related agency for volunteer efforts that have contributed significantly to the improvement of communities within the State of Illinois, with particular regard for the enhancement of public landscapes. The Community Service Award is presented at the discretion of the ILASLA Executive Committee.
Recognizes an individual or appointed or elected official who has advanced or promoted the cause of planning in the public arena. Presented at the discretion of the ILASLA Executive Committee and Advocacy Committee. Criteria for recognition includes the following:
- Support of landscape architecture and landscape architects. Illustrate how the nominee’s work has increased the understanding of the design process. Indicate how the nominee has shown a clear understanding of, and support for, the role of landscape architects in public life.
- Effectiveness and results. Describe the extent that the nominee has been effective in formulating and implementing plans and ideas in support of good landscape architecture (both design and planning). Identify the level of influence and effectiveness achieved by the nominee within different segments of the community.
Organization / Firm of the Year
Recognizes firms or public agencies that employ landscape architects that has produced distinguished work that continues to influence the professional practice of landscape architecture.Chosen by Awards Jury. Criteria for recognition includes the following:
- Quality. Demonstrate consistent quality of the firm’s work and its recognition by the general public or those who practice or sponsor landscape architecture, teach landscape architecture, or develop communities. Elements of quality include graphic design, content, evidence of implementation by clients.
- Influence. Detail the firm’s positive influence on the direction and professional advancement of landscape architecture, for example promoting new technologies, collaboration among other design disciplines, innovations in practice, and advances in the art and science of landscape architecture.
- Ethical Practice. Explain how the firm consistently upholds and champions the highest standards of ethics in terms of the public trust and guiding and educating its staff on the importance of ethics.
- Outreach and Engagement. Demonstrate the firm’s efforts and skills in engaging stakeholders and resolving community conflicts with positive outcomes. Demonstrate responsiveness to the client and the various elements of the community in the design process and willingness to incorporate ideas and suggestions from the community.
Recognizes individual students that have significantly enhanced the Illinois landscape or promoted the profession of landscape architecture in the State of Illinois.
The ILASLA Executive Committee may, at its discretion, recognize individuals or organizations for reasons other than the above. Additionally, the Chapter President (past or present) has at his or her sole discretion the ability to award a person or firm, member or not, Chapter Recognition for exemplary contribution to the art and science of landscape architecture.
Public Awards - Submission Requirements
- Description (PDF): Nomination description on a maximum of two typewritten pages, include information regarding the nominee(s) and the work being nominated.
- (IF APPLICABLE, Recommended for Organization / Firm of the Year) Presentation (PDF): 15 page limit. PowerPoint templates must be used to complete the presentation (template file is linked to text). Background color and font should not be edited. POWERPOINT FILE SIZE MUST NOT EXCEED 100MB. The PowerPoint must include the following:
- Slide 1: Submission Category
- Slide 2: Nominee(s)
- Slides 3-15: Slides 3-15: Images representing the submission. ONE IMAGE PER SLIDE is allowable, except in the instance of “before and after” image sequences wherein two images are allowed per slide. Each slide must include:
- Submission Category
- One to two sentences describing each drawing or photograph
Public Awards - General Information
Deadline for Submissions:
The ILASLA Awards Committee must receive all entries no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 11, 2018 Late nominations will not be accepted. Award recipients will be notified of the results in mid-February. Upload entry submissions to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/lFehaL0HqibH5jjgEZAY
Please contact the ILASLA Awards Chair, Eric Braun: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminders and Suggestions:
Press releases, newsletter articles, magazine features and Awards Ceremony presentation will be written with the information provided on the nomination description. Be thorough and accurate! The graphic material supplied will be used to represent the project in Chapter publications, the Awards Ceremony and the traveling display. Please take care to submit quality graphic material and photographs that are in focus.