- This event has passed.
ILASLA/APA Garden Tour at Morton Arboreteum
July 18, 2023 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Thank you to our reception sponsors:
1 LA CES pending
$15 ILASLA and APA-IL Members
Arboretum entrance and refreshments included in registration fee.
Registration will be open until the event begins. If registering after Monday, 7/17/23 at 5:00 pm, please show your receipt (on phone is fine) at the registration table.
Creating a garden to mark the 100th anniversary of an arboretum is a daunting task that takes planning, creativity, generous donors and a construction team that can stay on a tight timeline. The audience will receive an overview of three years of planning, designing and building the new Gerard T. Donnelly Grand Garden at The Morton Arboretum. The presentation will provide a behind the scene look into the design process, the artistic details and the construction challenges of completing a new garden in the middle of an existing Arboretum during a pandemic to commemorate the centennial year and provide a new garden destination for the next century.
- Explain how the new garden fits into the overall Arboretum Master Plan
- Demonstrate how the design respects the existing viewsheds and formal axis
- Creating new gathering spaces for visitors, both small and large scale
- Incorporating water into the design to attract visitors and soften outside noise
- Provide accessibility throughout the garden
- Understanding a collaborative design process
- Providing preliminary images that help motivate your donors
- Preserving existing trees and protecting soils during construction
- Creating a rich horticultural experience with an eye toward long term maintenance
- Incorporating galvanized and stainless steel elements into the design
See the case study on the lighting
of the event by Lightswitch
Thank you to The Morton Arboretum for hosting and sponsoring the event.